Wednesday 26 February 2014

The Wanderer Returns - Australia Part 3


You can take a look at part 1 and part 2 of my adventure here and here, but part 3 concludes my Australian adventure. We had such an amazing time, met loads of awesome people and did everything that we wanted to do including scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef and sky diving over Mission Beach - more on those 2 later. 


Australia continued


After our Fraser Island trip came the time to drive 14 hours to Airlie Beach so we could visit the Whitsunday Islands. We did break this trip up and stopped along the way in the Town 1770, which is a random but quite cool place. 



We chose to do a day trip to the Whitsunday Islands purely because of time, but if you have a few days definitely go on a 2 or 3 day tour which is what I did last time and it is really worth it. The day was great though as we did get to see a lot and went snorkelling in 2 different sites. Unfortunately it was pretty overcast the day we went, but it was still good. We went to Whitehaven Beach which is incredible. The sand is so fine it's like flour, and there are huge fines for taking any away with you as the beach is now protected. 




Next up, you guessed it, a sky dive! We drove up to Mission Beach which is an incredible place to jump over. I was scared, but not as much as I thought I would be. I did have a moment looking out the window of the plane, as it got higher and higher (14,000 feet in total), and thought 'what the hell am I doing?' but there really was no choice at the point. I am so glad I did it and would definitely jump again. In the free fall I found it really hard to breathe (which has made my video hilarious), but now I know that I think it would be different next time. Unlike the bungy jump, I will definitely sky dive again if I get the opportunity. 


Our final stop on the East Coast was Cairns where we scuba dived the Great Barrier Reef - something I never thought I would do. I have a little fear of deep water but I was determined to do it. After a brief panic and a great instructor, I managed to dive down and it was incredible. We didn't see too much wildlife but the coral was amazing. I'm not sure I would scuba dive again, but it's something I can cross off my list and I am glad I've done it. We also visited the Daintree rainforest and Cape Tribulation whilst in Cairns.


Our last stop in Australia was to Darwin which was really just to visit friends. Emma and I both have different friends that live there so it was such a nice way to end our time in Oz. We did loads of things there like explore the city, visit Crocadylus park where we fed and held crocodiles and went to the old prison in Fannie Bay (yes that it correct, Fannie Bay. And the road the goes into Fannie Bay? Dick Ward drive. I kid you not).

All in all and incredible trip and I can't wait to go back to Australia and see more. I definitely want to visit Perth and Adelaide and go back to some of my favourite places along this trip. 

Catch up with part 1 and part 2 and look out for the next update which will be Bali and a bit of Singapore.

Megan x

No comments:

Post a Comment