Wednesday 17 April 2013

Join The Club...


So I've decided to start a new feature called 'The Club' which I'm hoping to run either once or twice a month, dependent on time. Essentially it's going to be something I've really enjoyed such as a book, film, album, restaurant etc. you get the idea. I think it'll be a nice way to share something I like, and hopefully give you inspiration for something new as well.


So first up is a book called Shantaram which I read last year and absolutely loved. The book is influenced by events that happened to the author, Gregory David Roberts, a convicted Australian bank robber and heroin addict - bear with me. The book starts with him breaking out of prison in broad daylight, making him one of Australia's most wanted men. 

The story follows his journey to India on a fake passport under the name of Lindsay Ford, where he meets local tour guide Prabaker. They soon becomes friends with Prabaker affectionately calling him 'Lin'. After events in the story, Lin is forced to live in the slums which keeps him away from the authorities, and as a way of contributing to the community Lin set up a free health clinic but also joined the local mafia money laundering, forging and working as a street soldier. 

During this time, Lin managed to learn Hindi and Marathi fluently and fall in love. He eventually gets into trouble and lands himself in a Mumbai prison where he is tortured physically and mentally by the guards, but is saved by the mafia leader who sees him released. 

The published version of Shantaram is actually the third copy that Roberts produced, as the first two were destroyed by prison guards. 

The story is really moving, and there are some real tear-jerker moments so be warned, have the tissues at the ready. But I think what makes this book so good is the way it is written. Before becoming a criminal and drug addict, Roberts was an Australian journalist so writing comes naturally. Although  some parts are fact, a lot of this story is fiction but it fits so well together that you would never know. Roberts himself has said 'With respect, Shantaram is not an autobiography, it's a novel. If the book reads like an autobiography, I take that as a very high compliment, because I structured the created narrative to read like fiction but feel like fact. I wanted the novel to have the page-turning drive of a work of fiction but to be informed by such a powerful stream of real experience that it had the authentic feel of fact.'

This book is a must read for everyone, and I defy you not to want to go on a journey to India after finishing this book. It's definitely on my to do list. 

If you've read this book let me know what you thought, or if I've convinced you to give it a go let me know as well!

Megan x

No comments:

Post a Comment