Sunday 6 April 2014

Healthy Pizza Recipe


Inspired by a post I saw on A Beautiful Mess a few weeks ago, followed by Lily Pebbles making her version, I really wanted to try this healthy pizza recipe and it's incredible.

So I'm going to talk you through the recipe I used (courgette, like Lily's) and it tastes amazing. It's fairly mushy so not like a traditional bread pizza base, but I would highly recommend this if you are wanting to eat a pizza but are cutting back on calories or carbohydrates. 

So for the base you will need - 

  • 8 cups grated courgette (I used 6 cups as that's all I had which was 3 courgettes)
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 2/3 cup flour (I used plain white flour, but use any kind)
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
  • 3 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp salt

You will also need - 

  • Pizza sauce - homemade or shop bought (I used tomato chilli pesto which was amazing)
  • Toppings of your choice (I used mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach)
  • Greaseproof paper
  • A baking tray/stone/plate


Preheat the oven to 550F (I converted this into Celsius which is almost 290 degrees, so I tried 240 degrees)

Place the baking tray/stone in the oven.

First you need to grate the courgette and put it in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of coarse salt. Mix in and leave for 15 minutes. Then you need to drain out all the excess water by placing it in a clean cloth and squeezing, or just using your hands a bit at a time. 


Once you have drained out all the water, put the courgette in a bowl and mix in the cheese, flour, garlic, herbs, eggs and salt (use your hands or a wooden spoon, whatever you prefer). 


Then place it onto the greaseproof paper (which needs to be about 15" in diameter) and spread out in a circle about 14" in diameter (it should be about 1/2" thick) then pinch the edges to form a crust. 

Make sure you have something solid (such as a chopping board) underneath the paper as you then need to transfer this onto your tray in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Once this is in the oven, prepare your toppings.


After 8 minutes, remove your base from the oven, but leave the baking tray in (use your chopping board to transfer it). Place your toppings on the base and place back on the tray in the oven for a further 4 minutes. Mine wasn't quite ready after 4 minutes so I left it to cook for another 2 minutes. 

Then it's just a case of taking it out of the oven and enjoying! This is very filling, I managed half (which was a struggle!), but it means you can share or save for another meal. 

Have you tried a healthy pizza?

Megan x

No comments:

Post a Comment